Filing Nominations & Running for Office

 When and how can I run for local office?

Nominations may be filed between May 1 and July 26, 2018, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Municipal Offices (395 Mulock Drive) - excluding statutory holidays, and on July 27, 2018 from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. All candidates are encouraged to book an appointmet with the Elections Team by emailing elections@newmarket.ca  in order to file their nomination papers.

To file a nomination, you must provided the following:

  • A completed Nomination Form
  • At least 25 declaration of endorsements (Mayor and Council candidates only)
  • Current acceptable identification
  • Nomination filing fee

Any documents that are not complete will not be accepted.

 Do I have to pay a fee to register to run in the municipal election?
At the time of filing, each candidate must submit a filing fee of either $200 for the office of Mayor, or $100 for all other offices. The nomination filing fee is payable to the “Town of Newmarket” by cash, debit, credit, cheque or money order. The filing fee will be refunded if the candidate submits their financial statement on or before 2 p.m. on the filing date for filing their financial statement.
 Who is qualified to run for Office?

A candidate for municipal office must, upon nomination, be a qualified municipal elector and fulfill all of the following requirements:

  • A resident of the municipality, a non-resident owner or tenant of land in the municipality or the spouse of such non-resident owner or tenant; and
  • a Canadian citizen; and
  • at least 18 years old; and
  • not legally prohibited from voting; and
  • not disqualified by any legislation from holding municipal office.

Note: A candidate, if nominated, must remain qualified throughout the election and, if elected, throughout the term of office.

 Who is not qualified to run for Office?
 The following persons are disqualified from being elected to municipal office:
  • any person not eligible to vote in the municipality;
  • an employee of a municipality, unless he or she takes an unpaid leave of absence before being nominated, and resigns if elected to the office;
  • a judge of any court;
  • a member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, a Senator or a member of the House of Commons;
  • an inmate of a penal or correctional institution under sentence of imprisonment.
 Can I run for more than one Office?
Candidates can only be nominated for one office on a municipal council or school board in the Province of Ontario at a time. If a person is nominated for a second office, the first nomination is deemed to be withdrawn.
 Can I run in a different ward than the one where I live?
As long as you are eligible to vote in the municipality, you may run in any ward. If you run in a ward where you do not live, you will not be able to vote for yourself.


What is the first day candidates can file their nomination paper?
  • Tuesday, May 1, 2018
  • Candidates that are running for the office of the Regional Chair must contact the York Region Clerk
  • Candidates that are running for the Trustee offices of the French Public School Board (Counseil scolaire Viamonde) or the French Separate School Board (Counseil scolaire Catholique Mon Avenir) must contact the City of Markham's Clerk.
Where can I find nomination papers?

Nomination papers are available on our Resources page. Hard copies can also be obtained at the Legislative Services department at the Municipal Offices.

When is the last day a candidate can file their nomination paper?

Friday, July 27, 2018 by 2 p.m.

Is it possbile to file your nomination online?

No, you must file your nomination papers in-person at the Elections Office.

When can I start campaigning?

You can only start campaigning after you file your nomination papers.

When can I put up Election signage?
In order to put up signs in the Town of Newmarket, you must first complete an Election Sign Application Form and submit it along with the applicable fee to the Legislative Services department. Signs may go up beginning at 10 a.m. on September 24, 2018.
How much does it cost for a sign permit fee?
The total cost of the sign permit fee is $500. $250 is charged by the Town while the other $250 is charged by the Region - however the Town collects it on behalf of the Region. Please be advised that this fee is non-refundable.
Will I be charged a fee if it can be proven that someone moved or tampered with a candidates sign?
If it can be proven that a candidate's sign has been tampered with or moved, the candidate will not be charged the $25 removal fee.
How do I know if I am disqualified from holding office?
It is the responsibility of each candidate to ensure they are qualified to seek the office for which they are being nominated. If you are unsure, seek legal advice. 
What are the fines and penalties for not complying with the Election Sign By-law?
The Town will charge a $25 removal fee for any improperly placed election signs. Under extraordinary circumstances, and if required, the Town may initiate legal proceedings against a candidate or individual who fails to comply with the provisions of the By-law. In these circumstances, and only if the court finds that the candidate or individual did not comply with the by-law, then the court may impose a greater penalty. These specific penalties are outlined in section 15 of the By-law. 
 How can I withdraw my candidacy?

If a candidate decides to withdraw from the election, he or she must notify the Town Clerk in writing no later than 2 p.m. on nomination day (Friday, July 27, 2018). A candidate who withdraws is still required to submit a completed financial disclosure covering all financial transactions made up to the date the nomination was withdrawn.

Do expenses for post-election parties and gifts of appreciation count towards my election expense limit?
No, according to section 88.20 (8) of the Municipal Elections Act, the cost of parties and gifts of appreciation after the close of voting do not count towards your regular expense limit for the election. However, these costs are subject to a separate expense limit established in section 88.20 (9) of the MEA. 


When is the 2018 Municipal Election?

Voting will begin for Newmarket's Municipal Election at 10 a.m. on Saturday, October 13, 2018 and close at 8 p.m. on Monday, October 22, 2018.

How can you vote in the 2018 Municipal Election?
  • By internet or telephone
  • Voters can vote from anywhere they have an internet connection (home, work, etc.) or anywhere they have access to a touchtone telephone
What if I don't have access to the internet, a telephone, or need help with the voting process?

The Town has established Voter Assistance Centres during the voting period (October 13 to October 22), which will provide voters an opportunity to get assistance with voting, or access the internet or telephone. These centres will be open on the following days and locations:

  • October 19, 2018 from 12 - 8 p.m. at the Magna Centre, Ray Twinney Complex and Seniors' Meeting Place.
  • October 20, 2018 from 12 - 8 p.m. at the Magna Centre, Ray Twinney Complex and Seniors' Meeting Place.
  • October 21, 2018 from 12 - 8 p.m. at the Magna Centre, Ray Twinney Complex and Seniors' Meeting Place.
  • October 22, 2018 from 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. at the Magna Centre, Ray Twinney Complex and Seniors' Meeting Place.

Remember - even if a Voter Assistance Centre is closed, voters can always access the internet at the Newmarket Public Library and the Community Centre.

How can post secondary students vote?
If a post secondary student that currently doesn't reside in the Town of Newmarket, yet meets the general eligibility requirements, they are entitled to vote in the Town of Newmarket municipal election. This year will prove to be more accessible and convenient especially for those not living at home, because we are moving to internet and telephone voting.
How do I find out who and how many people are running for office?
The Elections Team is posting the names of Candidates online once they have been reviewed and certified by the Town Clerk. Visit our Candidates page to see the current list of registered candidates.
I live in one ward and own a property in another ward within the Town. Can I choose which ward I want to vote in? Can I vote once for each property I own?
No, you many only vote once in a municipal election and you must vote in the ward where you live.
 How can I make sure I'm on the list to vote?
To ensure you end up on the Voters' List, visit voterlookup.ca. Voterlookup.ca is an online service available to Ontario residents. Using voterlookup.ca, electors can confirm and update their Voter Information for the upcoming municipal and school board elections.

You can also contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) by phone. 

 How can I remove a voter from my household?
To remove a person from your property who is no longer an eligible voter (i.e. a grown child who has moved away, a former tenant), please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation at 1-866-296-6722. 
 How do I vote by Proxy?
Given the forms of remote voting is available to electors during an 10-day voting period (Internet and Telephone) and the provisions for voter assistance, Proxy Voting is not permitted in Town of Newmarket's municipal elections.
 Can I vote by paper ballot?
Paper ballots are not available in Town of Newmarket's Municipal and School Board elections. Voters may vote by internet or telephone, and may seek assistance from a trusted friend or family member or at a Town-run Voter Assistance Centre.
 When is the Municipal Voters' List available for candidates?
All candidates will have access to the Municipal Voters' List by early September. Registered candidates will receive an update once it is posted to the Candidates Portal.

Third Party Advertisers

 What is a Third Party Advertisement?
A third party advertisement is an advertisement in any broadcast, print, electronic or other medium that has the purpose of promoting, supporting or opposing a candidate in the election, or a “yes” or “no” answer to a question on the ballot.

Third party advertisements do not include:

  • Advertisements by or under the direction of a candidate
  • Issues-based advertising during the election period (with the exception of advertising that has the purpose of promoting, supporting or opposing a “yes” or “no” answer to a question on the ballot)
  • Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media
  • Messages distributed by:
    • an individual to their employees
    • a corporation to its shareholders, directors, members or employees
    • a trade union to its members or employees
 What information must a Third Party Advertisement include?

Third party advertisers must identify themselves and provide mandatory information on all advertising beginning May 1 until the close of voting on October 22, 2018.

Third party advertisements must contain the following information:

  • Name of the registered third party advertiser
  • Municipality where the third party advertiser is registered
  • Telephone number, mailing address or email address at which the registered third party advertiser may be contacted regarding the advertisement 

Other Questions

 What are the Offices to be elected?
  • Mayor
  • Deputy Mayor & Regional Councillor
  • Councillor, Ward 1
  • Councillor, Ward 2
  • Councillor, Ward 3
  • Councillor, Ward 4
  • Councillor, Ward 5
  • Councillor, Ward 6
  • Councillor, Ward 7
  • Regional Chair – York Regional Council
  • York District School Board Trustee
  • York Catholic District School Board Trustee
  • Conseil scolaire Viamonde Trustee
  • Conseil scolaire Catholique MonAvenir Trustee
 How much money can I contribute to a candidate?
A contributor shall not make contributions exceeding a total of $1,200 to any one candidate in an election. This limit is never to be exceeded regardless of the number of offices a candidate may have been nominated for during an election period. In addition to this, a contributor shall not make contributions exceeding a total of $5,000 to multiple candidates for office on the same council or local board. It is also important to note that cash contributions over $25 are not to be accepted by or on behalf of a candidate – any contribution that exceeds $25 shall be contributed in a manner that associates the contributor’s name and account with the payment or by a money order signed by the contributor.
 What are some important dates that I need to keep in mind?

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

  • First day for candidates to file a nomination paper for the Office of Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Regional Councillor, Ward Councillor, Regional Chair, or School Board Trustee.
  • First day for third party advertiser to register with the Clerk
  • Campaign period begins once a nomination paper is filed

 Friday, July 27, 2018

  • Last day for a candidate to file a nomination form between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
  • Nominations or withdrawal cannot be accepted after 2 p.m.

 Saturday, October 13, 2018 to Monday, October 22, 2018

  • Internet and telephone voting opens at 10 a.m. on October 13, 2018
  • Voters can vote from anywhere they have an internet or telephone connection - such as from home, work, or the library!

 Friday, October 19, 2018

  • Last day for a third party advertiser to register with the Clerk

 Monday October, 22, 2018

  • Internet and telephone voting closes at 8 p.m.


If you subscribe to this page, you will receive email updates each time a major change has been made to the FAQs webpage. Please subscribe below.

Newmarket votes online or by telephone: October 13 -22, 2018